Thursday, August 11, 2011

3-D Cake Collection (House Warming) - Ittybit's Kitchen

Front of house
Back view of house
Close up of the front 



This cake was done for a house warming for a friend.  The bottom is a 2-layer chocolate cake with regular butter cream filling.   The main portion of the house is also a 2-layer chocolate cake with butter cream filling.  TIP- I did make a larger cake to accommodate for the main portion of the house and the left overs were used to create the roof. Tinted butter cream was the main ingredient that decorated this cake besides the few handcrafted fondant roses, birdhouse, fence, door, rocks, and windows.  The white fence was handcrafted using a mixture of fondant and gumpaste.  I handcrafted the birdhouse, bird, small flowers on the birdhouse, and roses a few days prior to the delivery of the cake.  I cut the front door and windows the day of decorating.   

The chimney was created using rice crispy treats.  I then covered it with gray colored fondant.  I used a mixture of red and brown to create a Terra cotta butter cream styled roof.   I used tip #46 to get the smooth square shaped look of the tile.  I used crushed oreo cookies to resemble dirt and little tiny fondant pebbles to create the rocks.   I used the standard thick dowels to attach the house to main base of the cake.

This cake looks like it would be complicated to do but it was very easy.   The only time consuming part was handcrafting the roses and the birdhouse.  

No comments:

Post a Comment