Sunday, September 25, 2011

Featured Artist - Concarta (paper wedding toppers)

                                                   Concarta 
                                (all pictures supplied by Concarta)

I came across Concarta while shopping on Etsy. Concarta paper wedding cake toppers are handmade, one-of-a-kind works of art. Each and every sculpture is made with acid free paper, a variety of cutting tools, and archival quality glue.


The above pictures are just a few of the handcrafted paper wedding toppers that Concarta has designed. 

Here's a little insight into the owner of Concarta:

1. Tell us a little about yourself.
I’m an artist, and I live in Los Angeles with my husband. I am originally from New York, but have been becoming quite accustomed to the Los Angeles way of life. I don’t know how I ever survived east coast winters!

2. How did you become interested in creating?
I remember looking at art as a child just trying to understand how it was made and who made it. I still do this. I am fascinated by the processes and stories that surround beautiful/interesting objects.


3. What is your inspiration?
I am inspired by so many things, I wouldn’t even know where to begin. I love doing research and can get almost over-inspired and really have to force myself to focus.

In terms of my paper sculptures, I am very inspired by the incredible range of paper. I think it is an inherently elegant material both at the lowest and highest ends (and pretty much everything in between), and there aren’t too many materials like that. I also particularly like making the dresses. Every dress is different and I can always find something that I admire about it and want to understand a little bit more.


4. What is your favorite piece you've made and why?
There are certainly pieces that stick out in my mind as having something that I would like to harness again or explore more, and there are a few pieces I have made where something just clicked in a way that goes beyond their technical virtues. I tend to get very excited over small “moments” - like the way a paper curl falls and catches the light, or the way a delicate line may end in a drawing - things like that. Generally though, I try to move on and not to be too sentimental about favorites - I love the feeling of starting something new!

Concarta also caters to those who need customizable wedding toppers as well.  

To see all of Gwen's great products check out Concarta.  You can also follow her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment