Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Sister's Birthday

Full view of dragonfly cupcake tree
Close up shot of the dragonfly cuppies
Handcrafted felt lettered birthday sign
Handcrafted birthday card for my sister

Since my sister likes dragonflies I decided to design the cupcakes around dragonflies.  I also used the blue and brown color from the cupcake holders to create the party theme.  I wanted to create a one-of-a-kind birthday banner so I purchased some brown card stock and blue felt from Michael's.   I then simply threaded some thin light blue ribbon through punched holes in each corner of each card.   I then cut out a pink dragonfly and used that to place between the "happy" and "birthday."   I was very happy with how everything turned out and my sister was very surprised.  

As for the cupcakes I created all the dragonflies using royal icing. I first piped the head and then piped the body.  I let those dry over night.  Then I started working on the left side of the wings the next night so that they could completely dry.  I used some foil to prop them up so they would have a slight curve to them.  Then the next night I did the same thing when I created the right side of the wings.  I then propped up the right side as well.  Once everything was dried I used silver edible powder to created the shimmer on the winds.  I added a little bit of lemon extract to the silver edible powder.   I was also very happy with how the decorations came out. 

The party was a success as well as the dragonfly theme.   I also cut some large sized flowers using dark brown and blue construction paper to hang around the house as well as pink and silver dragonflies.  The birthday girl was certainly surprised and she enjoyed every moment...as she should. 

Until my next blog...happy crafting and baking. 
Ittybit

No comments:

Post a Comment