Sunday, November 21, 2010

Featured Artist - Everybody Else


While browsing through some of the Etsy posts I came across an artist named Melody DuVal of Everybody Else.  Her specialty is bright, whimsical illustrations that are available as prints, cards and ACEO's (art, editions and originals.)  Her artwork will surely put a smile on anyone's face.  

Samples from Melody's shop: 

1. Night Light

2. December  

3. Midwest Day Dreams

4. Winter Friends

5. Chocolate Chip Delight

6. Knitting Addiction

Here's a little insight into the owner of Everybody Else:
 
1. Tell us a little about yourself. 
My name is Melody DuVal, I live in rural-ish Indiana where you're lucky if you live within 20 minutes of a Target and you pass Amish buggies at least once a week. I love coffee, great books, good friends and expensive ice-cream. If I'm not at home drawing I can usually be found haunting a bookstore or grabbing a zebra-mocha with a friend. So frequently, in fact, that one of the shops I frequent has my drink ready for me by the time I reach the counter.

2.  How did you become interested in creating?   
My mom is an artist, so she always encouraged us kids to be creative. I don't remember a time when I wasn't drawing and, in fact, my family has photo evidence of a young me drawing on, literally, everything in sight. Skin, furniture, library books. My mom had to buy the books from the library and we grew up reading a copy of "Apple Tree, Apple Tree" with thick permanent marker splotches across it. It was one of our favorites, so I kind of don't regret that.

I've just always drawn, all the time and in the long run it made sense to make that a career. My day job is design and illustration and I love it so much that most evenings I come home and create some more.

3.  What is your inspiration?   
Stories. It can be a story from my day, a great novel, a tv show or just a random half baked story in my head, but stories inspire everything I draw. They're just little story snap-shops but they have "scope for the imagination"* I hope.
*"Anne of Green Gables", L.M. Montgomery

4. What is your favorite piece you’ve made and why? 
I don't know if I can pick a favorite, I love them all. But right now my favorite is my latest, "Night Light". I have a gorgeous framed print of it hanging for sale in a local coffee shop and if it sells it'll be a nice check, but a part of me hopes it doesn't so I can bring it home at the end of the month.

To see all of Melody's great artwork, check out Everybody else.

No comments:

Post a Comment