Sunday, October 24, 2010

Featured Artist - 2yellowbirds

While shopping on Etsy I came across this great shop called 2yellowbirds. Their specialty scarves, wraps and cowl necks are all carefully hand knitted and are quite beautiful. I recently purchased a light tan colored scarf (ends unattached) and a rose/mauve colored scarf (ends attached) and I absolutely love both of them. I've already received a number of compliments on them and plan to place more orders, not only for myself but for gifts for the upcoming holiday season as well. Their prices are easy on the pocket book and they are great people to work with. They recently added jewelry pieces to their shop and they also take custom orders!

Samples from their shop:

1. Magenta wrap scarf - $20.00


2. Charcoal wrap scarf - $20.00

3. Autumn bracelet - $6.00

4. The thinnest wrap scarf - $20.00

5. Grey cowl neck scarf - $15.00

6. World traveler earrings - $6.00

Here's a little insight into the owners of 2yellowbirds:

1. Tell us a little about yourself.
I am not even sure where to start. I'm 25 years old and am living in a small town in Ohio. I live and create with my boyfriend who is an amazing tattoo artist. He has, in the past two years, really drawn out my creative side. Watching him create amazing works of art everyday made me wish that I could make something that people would want to wear on them for the rest of their lives. Fortunately, I work a desk job where I have the freedom to do most of my creating from my desk every day since I have limited space at home at this time. My desk is covered with everything from bags of yarn to paints and canvas.
I owe the skill in my pieces to my grandmother who taught me how to crochet. But, my brain never stops there. I learned how to create my scarves by watching her but I've put my own twist on them. I'm learning now how to read patterns so I can continue to grow and make new things. I'm looking forward to the next year or so when we buy a house so that I can have a creative space of my own. I have so many plans for it already!

2. How did you become interested in creating?
I became interested in creating from an early age. But I have a very artist sister as well, and I've always been shy about showing something of my own for fear it wouldn't compare to some of the things she was able to do. It would've been like comparing a stick figure to a masterpiece. But I've grown confidence in my years and have become proud of my creations, because they're mine...so they're finally coming to light. And the response has been great and finally gave me something of my own that I can be proud of.

3. What is your inspiration?
I find inspiration in lots of things... but basically I make things that I like. I enjoy things that are comfortable and functional but with a bit of personality. I don't tend to stay up on high fashion or "what's hot". I make things that I would wear or have in my own home.

4. What is your favorite piece you've made and why?
My favorite piece is actually one that I haven't duplicated for my site just yet. It's a version of my super chunky wrap scarf currently listed on the site. It's in my favorite color of kelly green and it's every bit, very me. It’s comfy and cute. It can be worn dressed up or down... it's definitely a piece I wear all the time.

To see all their great products, check out 2yellowbirds Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment